"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 24, 2009

Coming out of the closet...



I have finally decided to be honest with myself: I am a lover of the color pink.

I know! It seems to go against everything that I stand for and support. I have defied the color pink since kindergarten when boys were blue and girls were not.
I refused to be pink- I was yellow or I would not respond. Teachers had to make exceptions for me and I have not changed!

At least I told myself I haven't.

I have chosen various shades of red, yellow and orange as favorites over the years. I HAVE loved those colors-truly I have. But now the truth comes out...the rosy, bubble gum flavored truth-its all pink for me now.

I suppose I have been a closet pink lover since my wedding when my flowers and dress accents were the aforementioned color. It just felt right to be surrounded by pink. I felt delightfully girlie and bright.
I was going over some pictures of the event when the truth reared its ugly head and I was forced to acknowledge it.

Then I recalled the time we discovered our baby was a boy and the disappointment of letting my little pink visions go. I really should have known then.

Bobby has been telling me for years that I like the color but I have vehemently denied it. It would have been smart to have had the inner dialogue then.
Alas, I cannot go back.

Well kids, I'm out!

My name is Nanette and I love PINK!

Ah, I feel better now.
I will, from this day forward, be unafraid to Think Pink!


6 comments:

John Barclay said...

You do realize that Brittany is the Queen of Pink!

Nanette said...

Yes Dear John, she will always rule. All hail the Queen! :0)

Marina said...

I think I like pink too, but only hot pink, or fuschia. Shhh, don't tell anyone ;)

Jenny said...

I was just thinking this yesterday! After noticing that I have a handful of pink shirts/sweaters in my closet. It has been creeping up on me since I found this quote and pasted it into a scrapbook (does anyone paste anymore? Only on the computer) "Discover the power of pink, the color of caring, compassion, peace and nurturing. Let is serve as a reminder to set aside time to take care of yourself." So there!

Tammy said...

Haha, Mena, you are busted. I, for one, have always liked pink and have no trouble admitting it. I even have a pink toolbox!

AmyJo Denise said...

Wear it Loud wear it proud! Pink is the color designed specifically for girls. I go through color phases too...right now I think I am going through a red and black phase...but I always keep pink nearby!

p.s. those were beautiful pictures of your wedding! The colors were PERFECT!