"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 2, 2009

A Hug From My Great Grandmother



I honestly don't remember if this quilt was made by Josephine or Bessie, but I am not sure it matters. I have had it for years and years...probably stole it from Mom. It's completely falling apart and I know my treatment of it doesn't help.

I wash it in the washing machine on a regular cycle, dry it in the dryer on high, and I have successfully dragged it from my room in high school to my house in college, to all the subsequent homes in various states. It has survived marriages, divorce, a miscarriage, heartbreak in all forms (both real and imagined) loss, love, financial troubles, stressful jobs, stressful education, pneumonia & other random sicknesses, homesickness,rainy afternoons on the couch with Clark Gable, the welcoming of my son and depression.

Somehow I think this quilt will last forever even with all the battering. Mostly because it has to. With all the crazy ups and downs that life has brought, this quilt has been there to wrap me up and weather the storm. I am safe here. I can feel the feminine arms of those passed on encircled tightly around me. Arms that have been there.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Nanette, seriously, you make me cry. I had one of Grandma Josie's quilts, it is a lone star pattern, and it was on one of her beds that I remember as a child. It was made of more satin type fabrics and so was never really used as a quilt should be, it was just looked at. After a while, I gave it to my mom, thinking she might have more use for it, as I have all these little children. Last I saw, it is still in a box. But you have truly used your quilt for the things it was meant for-comfort and warmth. Our grandma has to be so glad that it has been such a gift to you! Thanks for posting this.

AmyJo Denise said...

Nanette. I am not a mushy person...well...I try not to be, but this really made me cry too. And I Send you a hug *HUG* from here in Idaho. You really have no idea how much of an inspiration you are in my life. I have always looked up to you, even when you look down upon yourself. I truly admire all that you are, which is one heck of an amazing person, and I am blessed to have you in my family.