"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

March 19, 2009

Some Random Musings....

Today I do not feel well and have spent a good portion of my time in bed.

Oh, I have not neglected my son-he has been properly fed, washed, dressed and played with. He seems to understand that Momma is having an off day and has been content to do an awful lot of sleeping himself and play by himself in his new cage(more about that in the future).
And yes, I have showered, cleaned the bathroom and done the laundry so I'm not neglecting others either.
But here I am, back in bed for the third round...
I am so very blessed to have a mother-in-law who is not only gracious enough to let us stay with her until the house is built but who also possesses one of those rare giving hearts. I am allowed to use her laptop up here in my room for as long as I want. Thanks Linda, you are a gem!

I have discovered that when you sit around in bed all day your mind really gets some traveling in. Mine has been all over the place and these are some of the souvenirs it has returned with:

There are times when I think I should rename my blog, "Nanette Semon-A West Coast Girl lost in Pennsylvania."
There are many things VERY different here.
First of all, the driving is all crazy sauce. People tail gate you if you are only going ten miles over the speed limit.
Only an idiot or an elderly person drives like that-you are expected to go AT LEAST fifteen miles over. But understand the speed limit here on the highway is 45!
I think its 45 for a reason.
Maybe its 45 because the lanes are ridiculously thin. Maybe its 45 because there are some REALLY sharp turn offs and if you are going any faster than 45, you will not be able to slow down in time and risk turning your car over. Maybe its 45 because there is some nutty weather over here. Maybe the roads here are terrible and covered with so many potholes that if you are speeding, you might not notice one and drive right into a seriously deep one, and blow out your tire causing a huge pile-up.

MAYBE its just not safe to drive any faster.
The use of one's horn here is entirely necessary. You must, by current driving standards, be willing to honk your horn at any given irritation. Feel free to honk whenever. Heck, go ahead and honk because you don't like what you had for lunch today. Do not hold back, tell us how you really feel.
And last but not least, I would like to discuss under this topic of driving, why so many people insist on calling the flipping off of the middle finger, "The California Wave?" If you ask me, it should be called, "The East Coast Salute." Enough said.

I also would like to know why there is a DESPERATE shortage of Mexican food here.
Oh how I crave this delicious genre of tastiness! As my good friend Marina, who is currently braving the big DC said, "I dream about a good burrito." AMEN Marina, Amen.
We did find one sort-of Mexican joint. But sadly, in the Pennsylvania tradition-they add white American cheese to EVERYTHING on the menu. Seriously. Everything here is made with some variation of plastic tasting white American cheese. It is an affront to my palate. I am disheartened.
If you, the reader, have recently had the privilege to consume the ambrosia that which is Mexican food, I beg you, do not tell me about it. It could be the deal breaker in our relationship.

Here is the other thing my mind has been carrying around like a child's blanket-I want to run a marathon.
For those of you who truly know me, you might be chuckling to yourself-perhaps it is an all out guffaw, but it doesn't make this new thought retreat.
I seriously wonder if I my body could handle that kind of punishment. Especially because I am, after all, OVER WEIGHT. I'm not saying I want to run a marathon this year-I know that is out of the cards. But maybe next fall? Perhaps this little cold of mine has gone to my brain. Perhaps....

To top off my current madness, I truly am considering changing the name of our blog. I love that Heather has a field, Jenny is mighty, Arnica hosts a herd and that Tammy is having big little adventures. I have no idea which direction I should go, and so I make a plea to you, dear reader, do you have thoughts or suggestions on this subject?
Please let me know and maybe I will be able to QUIET this silly mind of mine.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I am no help at renaming the blog. I too should come up with something more wonderful for my blog...but maybe another minute. I love reading your mind wondering, but sometimes - like always - I have NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.!! Love you:)

Jenny said...

1) Sorry you have a cold. If it is the crap that took me down for a solid week, I am double sorry!
2) Make the black beans over rice that I posted on the cookbook blog. It is really yummy, really easy, and tastes like Mexican food sans the white offensive cheese.
3)I didn't drive even in Logan for 6 months! You are brave and I salute you (not with my middle finger)
4)You will have to run your marathon alone...I am not coming along, but I love to yell from the side at any good spectator sport. "Go, Nanette!"
5)Jacob asked me the other day what is so mighty about us. So, consider that Murdock is young and not sharing his opinion, and call your blog whatever whim crosses your mind.
6)Feel better soon, but I did enjoy your meandering thoughts. Good for us to explore a little now and then. Especially our own heads.

Sara said...

You forgot one MAJOR part of PA driving...if you do not press the gas exactly 1.5 seconds BEFORE the light turns green, you will get honked at by at least one car. Todd and I used to get so irritated by that, that we would purposefully wait until exactly 1.5 seconds AFTER the light turned green to start to go. Sheesh!

And, here is an interesting side note: when Pres. Bush was running for his second term in Office he came to NEPA. After speaking one day, the Mayor of Hazelton asked him if he had any advice for the people of NEPA and do you know what Pres. Bush said?...he said, "Yeah, fix the potholes!" I don't think I have ever laughed so hard! :) Why oh why can they not pave roads the correct way?

Heather said...

You have the right to relax when you don't feel good. I can't believe the driving out there. I would go crazy. I am so sorry about the cheese. If I come up with any names for your blog I will let your know.

Oh and yes Ayla is a red head. My sister has red hair and so does my grandma and all her sisters. Plus Kurt's dad and all his siblings have red hair. So it comes from both sides.

Mantis said...

Sweet, Bestest...change is hard. But do not forget that being back in bed a third time means that you were able to get up twice already. You’ve done it before, you will do it again. It is who you are. There is nothing wrong with taking some time to sit and think – it is sometimes the best way to insure that, when you’re ready to stand, you hit the ground running instead. And run you will, I have no doubt about that.

As for the renaming of the blog, here is what I propose: Spring is coming, and with spring comes all the newness and hope a person could ever need in this life. Spring teaches us to embrace change – and even look forward to it! Just think of a bright green crocus popping out of a dingy, snow-scattered flower bed, and you can’t help but smile! So, with that in mind, I say let's look forward to the flowers, and rename the blog with a floral title that reflects the sweet-smelling, bright spots ahead! How do you feel about “The Flowers of Factoryville – blooming where we’re planted” or “Posies of PA – watch us grow” (I prefer Pansies, myself…hee hee hee!) or even “Daily Daffodils – from the fairy garden to the Pennsylvania woods” or better yet “Daisies…and night-sies of the Semon family” or (by far the most random, but still solidly theme-related) “Tulips – because one lip would just look silly”.

I think you can take it from here. :) I love you!