"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

March 18, 2009

Your Word



So I have been reading this book. Its over-all a pretty darn good read, my only beef with it so far is the use of foul language on occasion. I am one of those people who can over look such things to an extent, but if you are sensitive to swearing, do not pick this up.

The reason I am blogging about it today is because last night it gave me pause and I would like to share that with you.
The author decides to spend a year traveling the world and her first stop is in Rome where she wants to learn Italian. She falls madly in love with the city but confesses that she could never be a permanent resident. After a conversation with a friend the reason for this surfaces: Every place, every person has a word that not only describes them but is the driving force behind everything they do and everything that they are. We end up at home in the place that displays our corresponding word.
Her examples include, New York City's word: ACHIEVE and Los Angeles' word: SUCCEED.
Her word and Rome's word do not match up.

Here is my question for you dear friends, what is your word?

I have pondered this a lot this morning as I changed a diaper, filled a sippy cup with milk and told the dogs to hush. I am not sure what my current word is... maybe its INTIMIDATED...perhaps REACH...possibly TRY? I don't know.

I do, however, know what word I would like to be: SHINE.
I want to sparkle in this little town of Factoryville, PA. Maybe that word doesn't fit this place yet, but I hope that after I plant roots here, it will.

What do you think?
What is your word?

5 comments:

Sara said...

Factoryville needs a little sparkle! I'm sure you will do wonders for that place. :)

Heather said...

Passionate, I guess would be the word because everything I do, I try to put my heart and soul into.

Nanette said...

Heather,
That is a good word for you! You are a dear passionate soul and it really shows!

Thanks for the support Sara!

Jenny said...

So, I am going out on a limb, hoping that the word that defines us can change. I have been thinking about this a lot since I read your blog. I have to admit to myself that my word for right now is HUNGRY. I don't mean just physically. I am reaching for a lot of things. They seem perpetually just out of reach, so I have this hunger that for a time, at least, is defining me. Another accurate word for this time is SURVIVING. Enough said.

Nanette said...

Jenny,
Billie Holiday once said that there were two words that she sang from experience, Love and Hunger.
I love you so much!