
My sister-in-law, Jessica, pointed out to me about two years ago that I apologize way too much. She reminds me every time I see her. My response?
"I know. I'm sorry."
Seriously.
Lately though, I have noticed that it is getting worse. I said, "I'm sorry" about 66 times before noon today. I counted. And I only spoke to Bobby and Murdock.
If someone has made you sad (not me, mind you) I am sorry.
If you are having a bad day, I am sorry.
I am sorry if you are sick.
I am sorry if you are mad.
I will assume responsibility for the world's ailments and tragedies.
I will truly be sorry if I suppose you have been inconvenienced in any way, by me or anyone that I may have come in contact with.
The funny thing is, I REALLY, in my heart and mind, think it is somehow my fault. My over-use of the word has not, in any way, made it pedestrian.
It is my own version of narcissism.
I think its high time I stop the madness.
I don't want the baggage any longer-its too heavy and its not mine!
If any of you out there in Reader Land have overcome being an apologize-aholic, please let me know what I should do. I'm a little lost.


3 comments:
You crack me up! The funny thing is that I apologize all the time as well. And I'm constantly being told, especially by my mother-in-law, that I have no reason to be sorry. So, if you do find a cure, please pass it along...
Hi, my name is Natalie Hawkins and I am an apologaholic. HI NATALIE!! I caught myself apologizing yesterday for something that had nothing to do with me even and wondered why I was willing to take the blame. I am glad you pointed out to me that others are this way too. I love you just the way you are. THANKS FOR SHARING NATALIE.
I do the same thing.
Post a Comment