
I will not watch horror movies-if I want to scare myself I will try skydiving or some such activity.
But when I was ten years old, my sister and I attended a slumber party at our friend Erica's house. There were the classic pajama preteen escapades: freezing underwear, pillow fights, junk food binging and the like. It was good old fashioned fun and I relished every minute. That is until we settled in to watch THE MOVIE.
My sister and I sat next to each other somewhat in shock as we viewed Child's Play for the first (and for me, the last) time.
It was awful and I was thoroughly frightened but the biggest scare came when we went home and noticed that our My Buddy doll looked exactly like Chuckie!!!!
In a panic, we shoved him into the tippy top of our closet. We essentially brushed our hands of that evil and went on with the business of living.
Several months passed and we forgot the My Buddy in the closet. More things were pushed into the closet (back then we called it, "Cleaning the Room").
And then one dark and stormy night, Buddy fell out of the closet. We woke up immediately and ran to the closet where the offender lay on the floor. We just KNEW that he had awakened and was coming for us.
We were completely terrified.
We did the only thing we could-we shaved his head, melted his face and pulled his arms and legs off. Being satisfied that he was dead, we stuffed him into a black garbage bag and put him outside to be taken away forever. (This occurring while the rest of the family slept peacefully-they were completely unaware of the danger lurking in the house!)
And what do we learn form this little memory of mine?
Don't mess with frightened preteens.
You too could be taken away forever in a black trash bag.


8 comments:
I didn't see Child's Play until I was a little older than that, but Ashley has always been absolutely TERRIFIED of Chucky. So, if we had had a Buddy doll, it probably would've met a similar end.
I don't like scary either. Not movies, tv, books, kids too close to the water, unrecognized noises in the night. This is why I married a really big guy! I am sure he is good at nasty doll removal as well. Let me know if you have any more trouble, I'll pass it on to the big guy.
And how exactly did you melt his face??:) You funny girls. I remember you and Ollie at that silly girl stage. Don't you wish we could be that way forever - not scared of Chucky of course - just young and fun!!
Natalie, next time I come to visit you, I promise I will freeze your underwear. Its the least I can do. :)
LOL!! I totally remember that movie and My Buddy. I love what you did to him. Too funny!
I am not one for horror films either. The Ring did me in. I was done.
Very funny! My son got a Buddy doll when he was a baby from his grand parents. I hated that thing because I thought it looked like Chuckie. Can you say Creepy?
You have a completely adorable blog! I found it on MMB. I don't like scary movies either!
This brings back memories of going to a Beehive activity at a leader's cabin...in the middle of nowhere...where they let us watch Poltergeist. What the heck?!?! Were there not guidelines back in the day. I mean seriously folks. You don't show 12-year old girls movies about demonic poltergeists who are after little girls to drag them down to hell. It's not exactly rocket science! :)
Post a Comment