"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

May 12, 2009

My Little Secret


-Kahil Gibran
This is my tattoo.
Yup, I have a tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I got it shortly after my divorce. It was such a time of sadness. It was the death of a lot of dreams, and I can honestly say that my heart broke. It was not the first time Life beat me up but it certainly was the most violent.
So I decided to get a tattoo-a visual scar of a soul injury.
I chose a flower because well, even flowers grow in the mud and I knew that this experience would make me stronger and more beautiful when I finally healed.
It has been a few years, and as you can see, my tattoo has faded . The lines have started to blur a bit and it definitely does not look like it once did. Bobby said that he would support me and pay for it to get touched up if I want, but I don't think so. You wouldn't cut yourself open again so your scars would stay new.
Truth be told, half the time I forget I even have it.
I have healed. I have moved on. I am a better person for it and I have gained something ever so priceless:empathy.
I think the most Christ-like words we have are, "I understand." There is power in those two little words and I can say them about more than one thing. I am stronger. I am more beautiful. And while I do not think I will get a tattoo every time something bad happens, I don't regret the experience.
It is just proof that I can survive and wounds do close.
-Harry Crews

5 comments:

Heather said...

I love how you talk about the tattoo fading just like a scar. I also love how you got flowers because even flowers grow in the mud.

I am glad that you have healed and feel better about things. But you are right those kind of things defiantly leave scars. I have a couple of scars but they are just scars now.

Unknown said...

I think this post is lovely.

Jenny said...

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=d98094bf3938b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

If this doesn't come out as a link, cut and paste. Love to you.

Jenny said...

Bleah! Didn't work. Search for the talk by Pres. Faust called Spiritual Healing. So beautiful and true.

Janene said...

Dear dear Nanette, It means a lot to me to read this. You couldn't have expressed something so true better than you did. Thank you