"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

August 2, 2009

The Gift I Gave Myself


When is the last time you did something for yourself?

No, stopping at the drive thru to grab an ice cream cone does not count. (Although I do enjoy a good chunk of soft serve on a cone!) Going on laundry strike aslo does not count, nor does taking an extra long shower just so you can get "a few moments to myself." These things are all nice but they simply do not have the power to calm the soul or renew your body & mind.

It has been a while for me.
A long, long while.

Candidly, I have really neglected myself in the last 18 months or so. I admitt I have started, stopped and started diets and excersize routines. I have promised myself that I will start getting up a half an hour earlier to hold little daily devotionals-and not followed through. I have thought about leaving the child with Bobby and escaping to a movie for a couple of hours, but have chickened out.

I have let my clothes get frumpy.

My hair has seen better days.

I have gained more weight than I want to confess.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a long walk by myself.

I feel my prayers and scripture study have been rushed.

I have really let my correspondence go.

I have become lazy.
Well, I have had enough!!!

Saturday, I booked a morning at the spa.
I had a facial, a massage and a quick pedicure.
I breathed.
I relaxed.
I felt like a girl again!

Then I took myself to lunch. I sat in a little booth, had a gorgeous lunch and took my sweet time. I sat there and read Julia Child's book, My Life in France and just enjoyed it. I savored every bite. Nothing was rushed. It was glorious!!!

I returned home a changed woman.

So often in the Church, we use the phrase, "Endure to the End." We are taught to hang on and pull through. And while I do not dispute the importance of this, I have decided to take a new approach. How about we "Enjoy to the End?"

Of course we must be responsible. But, "Men are that they might have joy." Life should not always be a list of never-ending tasks and trials. We need to laugh, breathe and yes, once in a while relax! I believe that God would be supportive of this.

I have decided to make myself a priority once again.
I don't think I can afford taking regular trips to the spa but yesterday was a good start.
A darn good start.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I need this. Thanks for the push!

AmyJo Denise said...

Arctic Circle has $0.69 cones...That has been my treat lately. ha ha. And sometimes if I am super sad I get a swirl! ha!

I definitely have been inspired to step it up. I told myself that if I lose 10lbs I could buy myself $10 shoes!

Spa sounds good! I am glad you had a chance to have a mini vacation!

Natalie said...

WAY TO GO GIRLIE!

AaronTara said...

I have been feeling so many of the things you expressed. I so need a pick me up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jenny said...

Letting the cat meow in the garage while I'm reading blogs probably doesn't count either. :) Glad you took a break! It is important, and it helps to schedule a bit in advance to have something nice to anticipate too. I need to do that before the kids go back to school (they are the babysitters).

Amy said...

Amen sistah! I'm glad you took time for yourself. Why is that so hard to do as a mommy? All of this post was very well said. And, I can't imagine your hair or your clothes ever being frumpy. You are SO beautiful.

Janene said...

For me, a REAL break has to include: that no one knows when I will be home, and everyone has to be ok with that. :o) A little tricky these days. The library is one of my favorite places to take my time getting home. I'm trying to watch for a cheap fare to go with my babe and visit my Texas sis.

I do need some serious girly girl help though. Thanks for some great thoughts on this!