Last Friday I got into the car and drove seven hours to Richmond, VA all by myself. (A year ago I would never have dreamed of doing such a thing-but thanks to my trusty GPS, I am feeling much more brave these days.)
I simply had to go.
Deseret Book was holding one of it's Time Out For Women conferences there and as a birthday present to myself, I went. And I don't mean to toot my own horn at my bravery but, BEEP BEEP! I feel like such a grown up now.
I have made no secret of my loneliness. It's just a part of life right now and I am dealing with it but can I tell you how wonderful it was to sit in a room with 1400 women and feel appreciated for a few hours? Once the lights dimmed and the presenters started presenting, I totally forgot myself. Best birthday gift ever!
I stayed in this really old hotel in the center of the city. My room was HUGE! It had two rooms and a bathroom with a beday. I didn't use the beday because I didn't know how to and I didn't want to make a mess of things. Bobby says if he were there, he would have used it. I think I would pay real money to see that.
Anyhoo, in other news:
I think my favorite season has come to an all too abrupt end. As I write, I notice the large lacy flakes floating to the ground. I love watching this frozen dance-there is something very calming about it. It makes me appreciate a working heat system all the more and I figure gratitude in any form is a good thing.
Bobby shot his first deer with his bow. Bless his heart, he worked pretty hard for it. He had to drag the poor thing for about a mile and I believe he is still recovering. We plan on making the whole thing into a winter's supply of jerky so I shall be grateful for my hunter husband and all of his providing skills (even though I had to hide in the house the whole time he was cleaning it). Forgive the lack of photo-there are some things too ugly for blogs.
I am still working on getting my Scentsy business off the ground. Since moving here, my shyness has reached a new level and I feel so silly asking anyone if they would like to host a party. As the parties are the money makers, I know I need to get over it but it is still awkward.
Murdock had a new passion for all things dangerous. He LOVES to climb the stairs, climb the couch and make attempts to nose dive from it (I say attempts only because I have been able to catch him so far) and turn on the gas on the stove top.
So there is the latest news from our little corner of the universe.
Have a wonderful week all!
October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
So many thoughts.
Like first, Time Out is in Dallas next October. I'll go with you!
Second, have you taken your son to the library? I always meet other moms there.
Third, I wish I could have a party!
And lastly, just ask. No one will think you are silly. GO FOR IT!
Love you!
I LOVE that you went all alone to a womens conference...that is brave! Beep Beep for you from me!! I love that your hotel room was huge and that you didn't use the beday!:)I am happy that your husband hunter actually suceeded in hunting...mine did not...so pretty much it was a HUGE ya...I said HUGE waste of time. I also appreciate - no pictures of it! I always love updates on your little boy too! I miss you and love ya tons.
I definitely can relate to the lonely side of things. I have spent a lot of time over the last two years taking myself to the movies, and on mini-dates to the mall. It is so amazing how moments like that can take away that sinking feeling in your heart when you are lonely! I am so excited that you were able to go to the women's conference!!! Congrats to Robert on the Deer! and to Murdock on not nose-diving off of the couch! May the women's conference bring loads of sunshine to the fading fall!
Happy Birthday! Way to go, on going on that trip! I love the GPS systems they have now a days.
Go Bobby, on your first kill with a bow!
We don't let Ayla stand on our couch because she has taken a nose dive off of it before and it was pretty bad. They are climbers though. Go Murdock!
Mary Kay turned me into the most introverted thing too. I would get all set to make phone calls, then I would think of all the reasons that they wouldn't want to hear from me, and that would be the end of it. Good luck. Huzzah for taking yourself to the conference! And yay for a deer. Jacob will be jealous of jerky. I got my car smell-nice, Thank You!
Huzzah for VA! Glad you got to go on an adventure. I lived in a VERY rural town during the heart of hunting season in Wisconsin. Nothing like walking down the road and seeing a dead dear staring at you on top of a truck (or worse yet hanging from a swing set to drain). I did learn though that you can combine the deer meat with a bit of pork and it is a great ground beef substitute.
As for the introversion, just harness the old missionary Nanette and open your mouth ;)
Post a Comment