
(Whenever I think of mottos or inspirational sayings, I think of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey . The above photo is my homage to him. I felt it was appropriate.)
I have been thinking quite a bit about mottos.
I have never really adopted one although I have always loved the idea of doing so. I have found many a quote, mantra or maxim that have resonated with me, but sadly, nothing stuck.
In the spirit of new, I have added more conviction to my search and I think, after all these years, I have found one.
You probably think that I am making too big a deal over this. You are probably right. But such a motto should meet several qualifications (and by several, I mean two).
1.) It should be a reminder to me of the big picture. So often I get caught up in my tiny little view of things and forget that the human experience is a gift.
2.) It should cover an aspect of living that I have not yet mastered. I am good at so many things that this, more than anything, has held up the search. (Bit of sarcasm there.)
And so, without further adieu, my motto:
"Come what may, and love it!" -Joseph B Wirthlin
Pretty great right? It is perfect for me right now in this stage of the game. I have spent this past year wallowing in self pity and mourning the old life. (Incidentally, I've been thoroughly chastised for that in this month's Ensign. Article found here.)
I am ready to embrace Pennsylvania.
I am ready to embrace my new house, The Closet.
I am ready to embrace this new baby.
Its time to get to the business of living.
I'm serious this time.
We have also decided on our family motto. We like all the familiar ones: No empty chairs, As for me and my house...etc. etc. and so forth. But the one that suits us best is:
For the love!
A perfect fit.


7 comments:
Excellent post Nanette. Now you have publicly stated your motto and we will lovingly hold you accountable.
Take a look at my recent post about "learning to be" I think you will find it interesting.... also look at the video in the post Transform.... It is great.... photography based but applies to life.
Love both the mottos! You go girl and get on to living the life!! :)
I love it! Perfect!
My motto changes with each day. Some days, it is, Don't tickle the Beast (wake Jake), Some days it is Talk to the Hand (everyone). I love your new motto, but just for a giggle, watch this clip, it goes with my style. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qznPSyXgOkA
I love this motto! I need a little bit of that jam on my toast today!
Lovely post. On a less serious note, a friend of mine just told me about this adorable elderly lady who lives across the street from her. She is gracious, classy, soft-spoken, friendly and kind. She is a senior cit now, but when she was a young mother of four her husband died in a tragic accident. My friend went to her house to drop something off and noticed a cross-stitch on the wall that said (edited) "Life is a crap sandwich. Eat it or die." I don't know why that made me laugh SO hard.
I think I get derailed in life thinking that everyone else is eating chicken salad. This story helped me feel better about graciously laying my napkin on my lap whenever life hands me crap. Maybe we should cross-stitch that for our wall :-)
May it be your best year yet!
I love "Come What May and Love it." I try and use that one too.
one of my motto's is "Keep it simple, keep it plain."
Post a Comment