I want a makeover and I don't mean just a haircut-I want the kind you receive on Oprah.
I want the people at Harpo to call me up and say, "You know, we've been thinking that you deserve a little lift. Why don't we fly you out to Chicago (first class of course) and make you over from head to toe? We think this will make excellent television."
To which I would reply, "I think I can squeeze that in. I'll be right over."
They would fix my hair and teach me how to dress (it's about time someone did) and I would emerge from my transformation a vision of pregnant loveliness.
It could happen.
Maybe.
I think this happens to me in the first trimester.
The season of discontent.
I want to move into my new house and I want it to be professionally decorated. I want to walk in and do the welcome home sigh.
I do not want to save up to buy a couch-I want one to magically find it's way to my living room.
I am surrounded by clutter and it has taken over my existence.
I can't seem to get rid of it fast enough.
Where did it all come from?
I want it to go all the way of the earth and leave me alone.
I want the laundry to be done and I want Murdock to stop fighting it and just go to Nursery on Sundays.
Maybe this post is just a way of pointing out my laziness.
I am lazy these days.
I am tired.
My hormones hate me.
I have been wallowing.
And then it hit me last night, a slap across the face that nothing could have prepared me for:
What about the pregnant women in Haiti?
I have been humbled to the ground and suddenly the clutter, the laundry and even my out of date clothes do not matter.
Instead I will be grateful for the roof over my head, the water I have to drink and this new little life that I have been blessed to carry.
January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Pregnant is hard, even without earthquakes. Be patient with yourself, you are growing a baby, the rest will wait.
ARGH. Being pregnant is lousy.
Start taking fish oil.
Seriously.
It helped me.
You are allowed to feel lousy, I say. No matter where you live.
And I think you ROCK your outdated clothes. You got style girl!
I'm excited for you to get to decorate your house. It could be really fun.
What are you thinking of doing?
It is really hard being pregnant. They say a pregnant lady is the equivalent of a non pregnant lady mountain climbing. So don't feel too down.
I feel for the people in Haiti, too!! It is so sad!
Post a Comment