"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

April 26, 2010

Much Ado About Murdock


My little boy turned two on St Patrick's Day. Sadly, I was on blogging sabbatical so I did not post about it. I want to take a minute and talk about said boy because he truly is my sunshine. (Above is a photo he took of himself with my phone...I think its my new favorite and rightly so.)

This year we decided to skip the whole party & oodles of gifts thing and keep it simple. I took Doc to Burger King for Breakfast With Mommy ( I know, BK is not really ideal but it's his favorite breakfast spot....okay, its the only place he'll actually eat breakfast. They make their hashbrowns little). Then we went to Target to pick out a new Tshirt and then off to the Dollar store to buy the customary balloon (also a favorite).

That evening we picked up Bobby (Murdock's personal favorite) and headed to Red Robin. We took him there for dinner last year and he actually liked it so we made the executive decision to make it a tradition.
Bobby's mom, aunt and cousin joined us for dinner and we had a pretty good time eating fattening food but the BEST part of the whole evening..the whole day really, was the singing. I had told the waitress that it was Doc's birthday and asked if they could sing to him. She was a little nervous because he is, after all, only two. I take it from her expression that singing to two year olds in the past has been disastrous. I assured her it would be ok.
I WISH I could describe the utter JOY that lit up Murdock's face when he heard the clapping from around the corner. They surrounded him and sang him the dumb song they always sing-he ate it up! He clapped so hard, laughed and truly had the time of his little life. They gave him ice cream and even lingered around the table a little. When they did go, he got sad and begged them to come back. I don't know who had a better time really, Murdock, the staff or me?
Have I told you how much I LOVE this boy? So much! This.......much!
At two, Murdock is walking, running, climbing and throwing himself down the stairs.
He sings little songs that he makes up all by himself.
He knows his alphabet, how to count to ten, three colors and what a triangle, circle and square are.
He likes to tell us that he is awesome-we have no idea where he learned that but its true, so we don't dispute.
He adores coloring but his new real passion is scribbling away with a pen.
He still loves trains and Thomas the Tank Engine but he also has a fascination with flashlights and plastic farm animals.
He makes me laugh. He breaks my heart. He teaches me and loves me in spite of my flaws.
He is one of the best things I have ever done.
Happy Birthday Buddy!
Mommy loves you!
XOXO

5 comments:

Natalie said...

So glad you are back to blogging and that we got the birthday low-down!:) So happy he had a good day! I wished I lived closer so I could hear that alphabet, counting and shapes right from his little mouth! I bet it is so sweet! I sure hope to see you SOMETIME! Oh, and I am still hoping to get that package in the mail! AHHHH! I PROMISE I will remember to get going on it!!!

Sara said...

What is it with flashlights and trains?!?! I think it is rooted deep in the blueprints for little boys to be obsessed with these two things. I can think of no other explanation. :)

Nanette said...

Its true Sara...I don't think they ever grow out of it either. :)

Amy said...

What a treasure he is! So fun to read about his memorable birthday.

Heather said...

That is so cute he loved being sang too at the Red Robin! I love Red Robin! I love the dollar store! You can't go wrong with the dollar store!

That is amazing how much he knows! What a cute and smart little boy! Happy Birthday Murdock!