"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

May 27, 2011

Murdock Leaves the House and Comes Back Missing a Few Body Parts

Murdock has had a rough go at breathing ever since we can remember. Even just days after he was born, we called him piggie because he snorted like one (poor thing).
So, we were scared but hopeful when we entered the hospital on Wednesday for his scheduled tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy.

We sat in this little room for quite some time watching TV while we waited for it to start. The nurses were really kind at this point and even brought him a little teddy bear he named Baby Teddy Bear.

They had to attach everything to his ankle because he is still such a little guy. The yellow one says, "fall risk" I think he should wear it every day. :)

The nurse anesthetist was sweet and gave him a mask and hat because he wanted hers.
Getting ready for the deep sleep.
They told us it would take a half an hour but we waited for well over an hour for word that it was done. Turns out his tonsils and adenoids were a lot larger than they had previously thought and it took a bit more time. It was rough on his mom!

Finally, they brought me into see him as he was waking up and the hellish part started.
He was moaning then screaming then completely freaking out. He pulled out his IV and there was blood everywhere (I will not be wearing that shirt again). I just sat in a rocking chair and did everything I could to calm him down. I wanted to cry right along with him. They decided to sedate him to get the IV back in place. Then they wheeled us to his room.
They ended up having to wrap up his arm like a mummy to keep him from tearing at the various wires and tubes again. His only complaint was his arm. He begged all night for me to take it off. I wanted to, I really did!

We were lucky to have some caring nurses until night rolled around. Why are night nurses so obnoxious and ornery? He kicked one of them at about four in the morning and neither he nor I was sorry.

Thanks to my mom and some sweet cousins, I remembered to bring dvds and I had some fun little things to pass the time for him.

I got about twenty minutes of sleep but I was just happy he was doing so well.

They released us early the next morning and two days later, he is almost back to his old self. This morning he locked himself and Watson in their room.
Photobucket

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh goodness--what a tough time for all. Glad he is doing better.
I think night nurses are that way cause they are sleep deprived.

Melinda

Natalie said...

I am so glad you took the camera to document for all of us that live so far away. What a tiny little guy in that big hospital bed. Sorry it was SO MISERABLE. Glad you are home and things went well.
I am counting down the days til seeing you too! :)

AaronTara said...

I'm sorry the experience was rough but I'm so glad that he's doing better!

Rachael said...

I'm glad he is doing well. Sorry about the hellish part! That would be so hard as a mommy to just sit there and not be able to fix it. At least it is over and he knows he is loved!!!! :)

Unknown said...

YAY! Glad he is good and it's over. NO FUN!

Have you noticed him doing better since the surgery?

John Barclay said...

So glad to hear he and YOU are doing well now. Quite the ordeal!

Jenny said...

Ugh!!! Never a good time in the hospital. Glad it is over.