"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

July 1, 2011

How I Made All of My Husband's Dreams Come True...Well, Sort Of

Bobby has never been to a professional sporting event.
(I know, I cried too.)
So for his birthday, I did what any good Christian wife would do, I went to ebay. I kept a constant vigil over several tickets for this season. I was sad to see so many events go and just when I thought I had lost all my chances, I found two tickets to the closing game of the Red Sox/ Phillies series in June.
Jackpot!
Providence lent a hand and I was THE ONLY ONE to bid on them.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOBBY!

When we got engaged four and a half years ago, we promised to help make each other's dreams come true (the realistic ones-I doubt we ever have a million dollars or own a house on an island somewhere). He made two of my dreams happen: he made me a mommy and he took me to see Harry Connick Jr in concert. (Le sigh.)

So now it's my turn.
If you know my Bobby, you know that he lives and breathes baseball during the summer. And the Phillies are his very most favorite.

The night before the game he couldn't sleep.
He whispered to me, "Its like Christmas!"
Cute boy.

So here we go: our trip to THE BIG GAME in pictures.

Us in the car with our Phillies shirts on.
Us at the game. Thank goodness for sun glasses!

Jumbo Screen directly behind us.

I was given strict instructions to eat a hot dog. Apparently, it is illegal not to eat a hot dog at a game. Not wanting to be arrested, we happily invested in some. Bobby loved it so much he started eating before I had a chance to snap a picture.

This made me happy.

At the bottom of ever inning, these little boys would crowd at the fence in front of us and beg the players warming up in the outfield to throw them a ball. Number 11 there, caught two and gave one to his little brother. It was tender.

Bobby never let his eyes leave the field or his bottom leave the seat. He was glued!

So I took the pictures.
Here is what we saw from our seats in section 145 row 4:



I wondered if I texted that the amount of sun was damaging my delicate skin, if someone would rush out with an umbrella?

The final score. Sadly, we lost that game but we won the series 2-3.
(As a side note, it never ceases to amaze me how absolutely personal these people take the game. For instance, when discussing the final score, it is imperative that you insinuate you are actually on the team by referring to it as, "us" or "we."
"We lost the game," is the proper way to say that.
But I have never even tried out for the team!)

At the top of the seventh, a Boston fan stood up and starting cheering and pandemonium ensued. There were fights. A beer bottle was thrown. Three people were escorted from the park.
It was all very exciting!

Leaving the park.


I enjoy that the sign above was completely ignored as evidenced by the photo beneath:


The President was in town so it took us forty five minutes to drive only a few miles.

It was hot.

All tuckered out but still hung over with happy.

I think we need to make a Phillies game our new summer tradition!

And a special thank you for all of our special helpers who made this trip possible-we love you!


Photobucket

10 comments:

John Barclay said...

What a great day! Love how you captured it with great pictures. GO RED SOX!! :)

Melinda said...

There is NOTHING like going to a game in the summer. Yes, hot dogs are a must.
Looks like you two had fun.

Happy 4th holiday.

Melinda

The Triplett Family said...

Yay! That is so wonderful you got to make a dream come true for him. He looks like a kid in a candy shop he's so excited and you look gorgeous. How fun!

Natalie said...

Love that you documented every step of the game day! SO FUN!! I LOVEY, LOVE, LOVE dates with husbands!!

Jenny said...

Yay! Looks like the effort was worth it! :)

Rachael said...

Looks like you had a fun trip! Happy Anniversary as well!

Hillary from The Beauty Mark said...

Hey doll!

Just would like to let you know that you've won our Mary Kay giveaway...I tried to find your email but don't know if I found the right one. Anyway, email us at:
ourbeautymark@hotmail to claim your prize...
and Congrats!

XO
H&C

Sara said...

My step-dad is absolutely head over heels in love with the Red Sox...so much so that he drags my mom all over the country to see them play. Of course, that means that he comes to Kansas City to see the Red Sox battle the Royals every August, and he brings my mom with him, so it all works out :) That sounds like a really fun date Nanette...and might I just say that you are looking stunning in those pictures! Bob, you are one lucky guy!!!!! <3

Jen said...

Looks like an awesomely fun (albeit, hot!)time. Oh, and I extra love those earrings on you! Nanette + red= super cute.

Janene said...

fantastic! Glad you enjoyed such a treat together. congrats on four years! :o)