"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

January 2, 2014

Ten Talks That Have Changed My Life

A few years ago I was browsing the office supplies in Staples.

What is it about fresh office supplies that make me so giddy? The promise of organization? The overall newness? Heaven help me, the smell?
(Raise your hand if you too, swoon a little while watching Tom Hanks email Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail. You know the part I am talking about, when he writes that he would like to send her a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils? sigh)

Anyhoo, it was on that day that I found the pink binder. Staples has pink binders! Not just pink-the NANPERFECT shade of pale pink. So I bought one.
Best. Impulse Buy. Ever.
I took it home and thought over all its potential uses and finally decided that I wanted to start keeping all my favorite talks/speeches in one place.

I have printed out as many of my favorite talks as I have access to and put them in clear plastic protectors in the binder. If its a talk on CD, I have a pocket to keep them in. If its something I have found on the Internet, I have a piece of paper with the link printed on it.
I am most proud of the pink binder.
It is evidence that I can be organized if I so choose.
It is also my soul's oasis. I can pull out the pink binder when I need to be uplifted, inspired or when I need help with something I am struggling with.
I love that binder dearly.

There are so many talks that have touched me over the years, but there are ten in particular that have changed my life.

When I need to remember:
"Sleeping Through Gethsemane" by Diana Hoelscher
Found HERE

When I want to give up:
"Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence" by Jeffery R. Holland
Found HERE

When I feel like beating myself up:
"Forget Me Not" by Dieter F Uchtdorf
Found HERE

Understanding that hurt people hurt people:
"Healing the Wounded Soul" by Jack R Christianson
Found HERE
(Have tissues on hand. You're welcome.)

When I am tempted to try and just blend in:
"Stand Tall and Stand Together" by Sheri Dew
Found HERE

When I start to feel anxiety over my children:
"Write upon My Heart" by Henry B Eyring
Found HERE

When I need perspective:
"Come What May, and Love It" by Joseph B. Wirthlin
Found HERE

When I feel small:
"Women of Light" by Jack R. Christianson
Found HERE

When hard times come:
"But Now I See" by Kris Belcher
Found HERE

When I need to feel inspired:
"The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch
Found HERE

Bonus talk:
"The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene' Brown
Found HERE

If you don't have a binder, I cannot recommend putting one together enough.
Do it.
Start today!

I am always looking for more, if there is one out there that has touched your heart or changed your life, please share it with me! There is always room for new favorites and life changers.

Photobucket

1 comment:

The Triplett Family said...

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I'm going to be looking into these.