My parent's rule was, "No dating till you are 16!"So I waited...and waited...and waited. And then, Huzzah! 16 at last!!!!
I was free.
I could DATE.
Boys.
Oh yeah!
I was madly in love with the boy down the street. He was tall and handsome. He was broody and artistic. He was two years older than me and a senior. In short, everything my 16 year old dreams were made of.
Best of all, he was my friend.
He would come over most days after school and we would sit in the front yard and waste time. We would play with my cat, Mr Bailey, he would play the guitar and we would sing and we would talk.
Oh the chats we had people! "Intellectually stimulating" doesn't even start to describe the tasty meals we would consume with our words and ideas!
We talked about the importance of owning a rubber chicken.
We mused over the fact that parents really just don't understand.
We discussed the importance of not conforming to regular teenage fashion.
We agreed that being popular was beneficial.
We argued that age old question, "Cats or Dogs?" Cats, duh!
He was the white knight on the shimmering black horse. He could do no wrong. Oh boy-down-the-street, how I loved you so!
Of course, my curiosity got the better of me and I took my heart in my hands one fateful afternoon and placed it on the alter of teenage romance. I turned to that boy and asked, "Why don't the boys ask me out?"
Pause.
"Do you really want to know?"
"Oh yes, I've been 16 for a while now (5 months!) and no one has asked me out even once! If I am doing something wrong, I'd like to know so I can change it."
Dramatic pause.
"Well, a few of us guys got together and we agreed that you are pretty cool...you see, you are kind of one of us and kissing you would be like kissing one of the guys. So we decided we would keep you as you are and not ask you out."
"Oh" she said as all her dreams died and her heart fell off the alter.
"But since we are on the subject of dating, your friend Amber is really pretty. Is she available?"
"Um, yeah she is."
"Sweet. Do you think you could find out if she likes me?".........
I ended up putting and Amber and my lost love together. They dated the rest of the year and into the summer. He took her to the prom. I was devastated.
I learned that being, "one of the guys" has its benefits but it won't get you a date. Go figure.


7 comments:
I was one of the guys too. It has served me well in some ways, but it is such a pain watching them flirt with other girls, and seeing the silliness of it all! Ugh!
Hahaha that is too funny!
Why do your stories crack me up so much?!?! I had Todd read the beauty pageant story and he thought it was pretty funny too.
I was way too shy to be anything but something to be looked at from afar. I would NEVER want to go back to high school, but I wonder if I could go back and have the knowledge I do now, how things would have been different. Actually, that is kind of a scary thought...I better shelf that idea right away! :)
Don't you just love the whole wanting to be friends thing. I always had guy friends that did that to me. And one time I actually got together with my best friend once. I thought we were going to get married. It ended 2 years later and I was devastated but now I have nightmares of being married to him. I am so glad I married Kurt.
Okay...you know me and how I always tell the truth to you right?? He wasn't scared of kissing you - you do have nice girly lips...It was your feet that scared him off. He realized they were the same size as his and couldn't handle it. I am sure now as an adult the poor dumb neighbor boy has one major regret and that was not kissing you because of your feet.:)
This makes me glad I'm not a teenager anymore!
I wonder if that was my problem as well? Not in Q-town (I just wasn't that cute then) but as I got older. I must ponder...
Post a Comment