"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

November 11, 2009

Ah Ha!


Murdock is entering that phase where he wants to do everything Bobby and I do.
If we sit on the couch, then he sits on the couch.
If we are going outside (even if it's just to get something from the car), then he needs to go outside.
If we yell, then he yells.


This new little guy development has really given me pause.

Do I want him to follow in my footsteps?

Am I living the type of life that is filled with joy and no huge regrets?

Am I proud of who I am and who I am becoming?


I was rocking him the other night and singing, "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus." This is one of our favorites and I sing it quite a bit, but this time I felt like someone hit me upside the head. In the chorus it says, "Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought..."

The voice in my head asked, "Are your thoughts gentle?"
I couldn't answer right away and that, in and of itself, was answer enough.

I want my thoughts to be more gentle. I want my actions to be loving.
I want to be happy everytime Murdy plays copy cat.

Mostly when I cross over, I want to kneel at the Savior's feet and thank Him for being my example. I want to tell Him that I did my very best to follow in His footsteps. I want to say that I did all that I could to introduce Murdock to Him.

I am thankful today for a little boy who wants to be like his mom and dad. I am grateful for the lessons he teaches me daily and for those little ah has that pop up when he is around.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you for this sweet post. I am trying to do the same. Some days it is hard for me. Today is one of those days and I needed this.

Unknown said...

This is so inspiring! Thank you for sharing this. I need to be better!

You are a sweet mother!

Jenny said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is what I am grateful for today.

Natalie said...

You always look at things just a little differently and I am always so glad when you share! Love you!

Janene said...

That song is a miracle, isn't it? I simply can't be angry with my kids when I'm singing that primary song. ... So we sing it an awful lot around here. :o)

Amy said...

Well said. Aren't kids great? Just remember, no one is perfect. We're all learning a little bit at a time (even as the parents - or, maybe especially as the parents).