"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

November 10, 2009

Always the BEST Medicine

I remember my Great Grandmother's funeral.
My Dad's grandmother loved to bake and always sent a gigantic gingerbread man to us at Christmas time. I remember her being very short and she smiled a lot. Other than that, I do not have any memories of her (which is sad because I was 17 when she passed away).

There were a lot of flowers and my poor sister (who was six months pregnant) kept sneezing.
People were crying.
My grandpa cried. He NEVER cries.
And I found myself feeling really sad. I cried too.
So did my sister.

We held hands and cried together.
Then we looked at each other with tears in our eyes and said, at the same time,
"There's no crying in baseball!"
We burst out laughing and did not stop for almost 20 minutes. I am sure that we were very distracting and rude-but no one said anything to us.

Of everything that probably happened that day, of all the nice things said-this is what I remember most: There is no crying in baseball.

I am thankful for laughter.
It really can chase the tears away and make everything all better.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So true!

Tammy said...

It's good to remember. When Stony died, Mena and I went to Round Table to pick up lunch for everyone at the house, and something one of us said set us off and we were hysterical. But we were worried that if anyone saw us, they'd think what a horrible time it was for us to be laughing like that. I think, though, after such difficult weeks, we really just needed that release. And Stony would have appreciated it.

Natalie said...

Does this post mean that there are tears at your house lately?? Just wonderin'! Arnica and my favorite conversations are the ones we are laughing so hard we can't breath or are crying. It is usually over something that WE think is funny that nobody else would even laugh at. Sisters are definitely the best!

Heather said...

I love laughter through tears! I love this story.

Jenny said...

I'm going to use the baseball quote on my Ethan. :)