"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

August 31, 2011

Irene

When hurricane warnings started popping up, most people went to work preparing for the worst in our area (and rightly so-a hurricane on any scale is no laughing matter). But, as for us, I am ashamed to say, we played somewhat the grasshopper in a world of busy ants.

We went to the Harford Fair on Saturday and ate greasy food and saw every animal available for viewing-including a liger and a horse that Murdock had the privilege to sit on. We did go grocery shopping but we did not stock up on non-perishables.
Saturday night, after we got word that church had been cancelled, we took stock of our "emergency supplies." One very small candle and a hotel match book.
I was sure that God was going to strike us down to teach us a lesson on not heeding a warning.
And I panicked.

Bobby ASSURED me that we would be just fine and to stop carrying on like a chicken with it's head suddenly missing. He PROMISED me we would be just fine. (I was ready to hold him to that promise even though I knew it wasn't practical.)

Saturday night it RAINED. But our basement (that becomes soggy with even low humidity) was barely damp in the morning. Miracle #1.

We had a few power surges but never completely lost power. Miracle #2.

It was so windy the siding came off of our neighbor's home. But ours stood firm. Miracle #3.

Some trees fell, but the ones nearest us did not. Miracle #4.

Some of the head stones across the street were damaged in the storm. But Sunday evening, when I ventured out to view the damage, all the little American flags were still standing.
Miracle #5:


I have learned my lesson and God did not even have to strike me down.
How blessed we are to live in a time of constant miracles!
Photobucket

3 comments:

AaronTara said...

I was thinking about you that night. I'm so glad your family was safe. I'm thankful for the constant miracles as well, whether big or small they're always great.

Unknown said...

Hurricanes are THE WORST! Glad you stayed safe!

Rachael said...

Glad you were safe and had no damage! There are miracles today!!! :)