"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 7, 2012

February Love Letters #1

This year I want to take a minute to write love letters to a few people in my life that I haven't said thank you to enough.
I want to believe that St Valentine would approve, after all, there is more to his holiday than romantic love.

Dearest Dear John,

"Dear John" started out as a bit of tongue-in-cheek fun, but over the years, has turned into one of the sweetest terms of endearment. You truly are dear to me. Truly. And I need you to know that.

I look back on how we met (over the phone!) and I laugh.
You see, I HATE the phone with the fire of a thousand suns.
I am terrified of it and refuse to even call in for pizza. Heaven only knows why, its just the phone after all! But there it is.
I am ever so glad that I picked up when you called!!!
Its true that a phone call can change your life.
I found a friend that day.
I also found a second family.

You have taught me SO much!
I wonder if you know that?
I enjoy conversation with you because not only do you have a wonderful perspective, great stories of travel & people and super fun sarcasm-but its the way you pause.
Did you know that you have a famous pause?
You do it when you are actively listening. Really listening is something that I didn't think existed until I met you.
I say something and you pause.
You think about something I have said. You think of what you want to say, and then you say it.
Its something so simple.
It only takes a moment.
But that moment tells me that I am special. It tells me that you care. It says more to my heart than any words ever have.
I LOVE that pause.

Whenever I see you, you give me a giant hug.
There have been really rough patches in my life where that hug has brought healing.
I am safe there in that hug.
And safe is a word I don't use often.

Thank you for sharing my love of tea.
Thank you for sending tea when you were too far away for a hug.

Thank you for inspiring me to try spin classes-they have changed my life!

Thank you for sharing your passion for all things beautiful.
The photo that hangs in my living room is one of my most treasured possessions because not only is it beautiful, but it helps me to see what you see. What a gift you have!

Thank you for sharing your testimony in the way you live.

Thank you for sharing your family with me! In your wife, I have gained a most precious sister! I love to come visit because your house is so full of life and love and beauty.
I know that you aren't all perfect either and that only serves to make me love you more!

Thank you for you.
For all the small ways you improve the world.
For all the big ways you have blessed my life.

I love you my Dear John.
Photobucket
If you would like to get to know my friend better, please check out his blog HERE-its stunning and you won't be sorry!

3 comments:

John Barclay said...

Well that took me three times to get through... Now that my eyes are dry... I love you too. You, my dearest Nanetter are a treasure to our family. A beautiful rare gem of a woman who we all love and cherish. We love that you have become an adopted member of our family. Thank you for sharing this most touching love letter. It has made my day! :)

Heather said...

I love that you are going to write love letters! Sounds like John is a great person!

Janene said...

What an amazing writer you are, I might just sob in the shower having read these love letters. I do love a good sob in the shower. Thanks for sharing your heart, Nanette!