"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 8, 2012

February Love Letters #2


I am not sure who wrote, "A friend is a single soul dwelling in two separate bodies." But its true. I am so blessed to have found my other half:

Oh my Beth!

How can I ever, EVER put into words what you mean to me?
I honestly don't know if its possible...please know that my fumblings here on the blog are nothing compared to the language of my heart.

All growing up I wanted a BEST friend.
I have had several absolutely wonderful ladies in my life-most of whom, at one time or another, has worn the hat. But what I failed to realize was, what I truly wanted, was to BE someone's best friend.
If I could only find someone to be that friend then I knew I would find THE one.

And then there was you.
We met at church, remember?
We both have the same story.
I looked at you and you looked at me and in that heart beat of a second, I knew I had found you.
I said to myself, "Well there is my best friend."
And you said the same thing, only out loud, because that is the difference between you and I.
You became my there-you-are.
And I became yours.
BESTEST Friends.

But we didn't speak.
Not for months actually, which is wildly funny now.
What were we waiting for?!

The details are fuzzy to me on exactly how it happened.
You helped me move all my stuff in your Clifford The Big Red Van one night and that was all it took.
We ended up driving around endlessly talking about nothing and everything.
You showed me one afternoon how to make the perfect salad. I confess, before I met you, I had never heard of a salad spinner. Who knew?!
The big old world holds many fascinating things and I feel that you have introduced me to half of them.

You were there.
Always there when I desperately needed you-without even having to ask.

I can honestly say that you have saved my life.
Literally.
And on more than one occasion.

I don't know how you did it either.
How do you do it Lis?

You were there at both weddings.
At the divorce.
At the birth of my two sweet babies.

Thank you for always getting it.
Thank you for telling me the truth, even when I didn't want to hear it or was too blind to believe it.
Thank you for never having the awkward silence if we haven't spoken in a while.
Thank you for always picking up where we left off.

Thank you for the many many miles spent in your car.
For the late night binges and talks and giggles.
For watching entire marathons of Top Model with me because it really is the worst kind of train wreck.

Thank you for staying up late with me the night before my wedding in June. Thank you for dressing up in left over shards of tulle and making yourself into the best ballerina the world has ever seen!
You have no idea how much I needed that.

Thanks for always being neutral-its still one of my favorite things about you.

Oh how I have needed you!
Need you still.

How I thank the heavens for sending you to me.
How I love you My Beth.
My there-you-are!

Photobucket

No comments: