Dear Nat,
You were my first sister.
You already had two sisters of your own and had no need for another, but out of sheer decency, you allowed me a place in your life and I have always been grateful.
(Even though you made fun of my giant feet. But I guess that was part of the whole "sister experience" and you didn't want me to miss out...I guess I should be grateful for that too.)
When we were little, you were the shy one.
I was loud and obnoxious and danced around like a monkey in public but you were always quiet dignity.
Until high school.
Then the tables turned.
You took me to school with you one day and taught me how to properly flirt and how to get younger people to call you princess. I thought you were SO COOL! ( I still do actually.)
Between the two of us, I'd say we have enough life experience to teach a course on the subject and write the text as well.
But that is not what I want this letter to be...
I want to tell you how amazing you are.
I wonder if you hear that enough?
Because you are.
The things that you accomplish daily.
The people you reach.
The example that you set.
I often sit and wish that I could be more like you:
more selfless
more productive
more creative
more involved in my children.
You are a fantastic mother.
I know you don't believe %100 of that, but for once, trust me and know that you are.
You have the most beautiful testimony.
I feel it a privilege to have watched it grow and develop over the years.
You have taught me so much about faith, charity and forgiveness.
You have let me hang onto your testimony when mine was a little weak and it has seen me through some pretty dark times.
Thank you so much for that.
I don't know where I would be....
Thank you for all of the quirky, fun packages you have sent to me and my children-we always treasure them.
Thank you for being one of my bridesmaids even when Laikley was super little and it was terribly inconvenient for you. It meant a great deal to me to have you there.
Natalie,
From the most tender spot in my heart-thank you for taking such great care of our grandparents.
You really don't know what a blessing you have been.
But I know. And they know.
And Heavenly Father knows.
It has been pretty rough on you at times.
You have no real spare time for yourself, but you go.
And week after week, we are grateful.
I love you.
You are one of the most amazing people I know.
You are beautiful in every way.
And this Valentines Day, I hope you take a moment to celebrate yourself and everything you have become.


2 comments:
That was beautiful, Nanette. I feel the same way about her. :)
I know you well enough to know that one of these February Love letters at some point would be to me. You know - we have that little secret between our hearts that helps us know these things....so, I knew it was coming at some point or another. So I prepared for it. Your past love letters have made me cry and so I was preparing to NOT CRY at MY love letter. DIDN'T HAPPEN!! You make my heart swellierest! :) Love you back!!
Post a Comment