"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

February 13, 2012

February Love Letters #5 (The Last One)


Dear Body,

Truce.

We have both said some hurtful things and done some stuff that neither one of us is proud of.
We are 31 years old now and I think it time for us to grow up and stop acting childish.
So may we start over again?
(I'll even buy you a cup of tea at Starbucks for good measure, what do you say?)

Though I have, at times, hated the way you look-the truth is I really do love you.
There have been moments when I have sat back in awe of what you have accomplished, like the times you gave birth. (Especially that last time you did it without drugs! Go you!!!)
How could I really HATE you after that?
It was amazing!
And you did that all for me.
I love you for giving me that gift.

I love that you can get me places.
That you can do yoga and spin class.
I enjoy the way you float in the water...that one just never gets old.
I love the way you can snuggle one of my babies or pet my cat.
I love the way you can hold Bobby's hand and kiss him (on the lips even).

Thank you for not giving up on me when I have treated you badly.
I am sorry for the trash I give you sometimes.
I am sorry for the way I keep you from getting enough sleep.
I am sorry for speaking about you so negatively...I didn't mean it. Not really.
Please forgive me for not appreciating you enough.
Lets be friends again.
I really want to this time.

Lets start fresh.
Staring now.

Hello Body!
You are wonderful.
I am so glad I have you.
I will love you forever.

Photobucket

4 comments:

John Barclay said...

Okay, you inspired me to have a conversation with my body....


Not gonna tell you what it just said.... Nope not gonna happen. It was just plain vulgar!

AaronTara said...

Thanks for writing this. I, too, struggle with my body and no matter what accomplishments it has made I always criticize it. Maybe I ought to have a heart to heart with it. : D
I'm so glad to know you. : D

AmyJo Denise said...

Nanette you are so wonderful!

The Triplett Family said...

Ahhhh, I totally read half of this letter thinking you were writing it to someone named Body... like Brody minus the r. My word, maybe I should go back to bed. I enjoyed reading your love letters this month, you're always so eloquent in your speech and writing. I love to hear you talk.