“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes...you're Doing Something.”
After posting my comeback yesterday, I gave some serious thought to goals and resolutions. I know they are good for me, they are essential for my growth and I need them.
I just get so darn nervous!
Does this happen to you too?
I am concerned that I will make a goal, go the extra mile to write it down like I am supposed to and then some calamity will hit and the chances of meeting said goal will narrow down to 0%.
Gah! Enter anxiety.
So for several years, there has been little goal setting.
Here is what I have learned from that: not setting goals and making resolutions has the exact same effect as setting them and not achieving.
My strategy this year is to make vague goals.
Laugh if you must, but this feels right to me.
If I leave myself room to wiggle, I might just get there come calamity or no.
I have written them all down.
I even put them into categories: Spiritual, Family, Money, Personal and Physical. (Look at me being organized! Seriously, can I get a high five for that?!)
I won't go listing all my goals here but I will share one from my "Personal" category:
Find a hobby.
I NEED a hobby!
A real one.
I am open to suggestions.
Welcome 2014!


4 comments:
Welcome back! It's great to see you blogging again. Good luck with finding a hobby. It will be fun to see what you decide :-)
I used to set goals according to all the books and business guru's… but I had the same results you did… Then I read recently (can't remember where) where someone suggested the who goal setting thing was overrated… I tend to agree. Guess, what the take away from the article was? Yup, set more realistic and SMALL goals if you must set any at all… In other words, its good to have objectives and a plan of some sort…. something to help guide us. But saying I'm gonna ride 2,000 miles this year when I've only ever done 1,200 in any given year is silly… rather I'm going to try and ride 250 miles a month which would get me to 1,500 and if I don't make that oh well… so I did 200… I STILL EXERCISED!!! Hellllooooo!!! My 2 cents thus far…. Photography is a great hobby… hint, hint…. :)
Well said Dear John!!!! LOVE
I think keeping chickens could count as a hobby. Just sayin'. :)
Post a Comment