"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

August 24, 2011

Tongue Tied

I have known for a year.
Watson is "tongue tied." Which means that he can't stick his tongue out all the way. Which made nursing super awesome. Which makes using a sippy cup impossible. Which would make speaking difficult.
So I waited a year because I knew they would cut him and I couldn't take it.
But we survived Murdock's hospital time this year-might as well tackle Watson's and just be done with it (God willing.)
And today, that is just what we did.

We woke him up at 6:30 am (he usually sleeps till 8) and immediately, he was not a happy camper.
Then we didn't feed him and he really let us know he wasn't pleased.
But we made it to the hospital by 7 and by 9 he was in the OR.

At 9:45 the anesthesiologist hurried me into the recovery room because they were not sure if his tirade was normal or if they should sedate him.
Oh, it was normal alright! My boy is a regular bear-cute and cuddly but don't make him mad or watch out!
I pulled a bottle of milk out of my purse and pretty soon he had calmed down enough for the nurses to pull out all of his wires and tubes and the IV in his little baby foot.

By 10:30 we were home and he was slapping his brother in the face...they bounce back quickly at this age.

Oh I am so glad this is over! It hurts my heart to see my boys waking up after a surgery-they are scared and in pain and someone might as well stab me in the chest.

Here is my little guy before Dad had to leave for work:







The Surgeon says that he will now have use of his tongue, which includes sticking it out at me an inch more than before.


Photobucket

3 comments:

The Triplett Family said...

Glad it went smoothly and he made a quick recovery!

Jen said...

You had surgery that improved his future ability to sass? Bad move.
Seriously, I am glad it all went well, and it's onward and upward from here!

Rachael said...

I'm glad he is doing ok! I've been thinking about you and him. That would be hard to see both your babies have surgery in one year. What a strong mamma you are! :)