"The earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

January 30, 2012

Heaven's Valentines

I have been thinking a lot about Valentine's Day.
I am a self-proclaimed hater of the holiday but in recent years, I have changed my mind and here is why:

Well, maybe its best to start a bit further back.....

In February 2006, I was married.
I was happy.
I had the best job and the best friends and a cozy little condo built for two.
For Valentine's weekend I had booked a hotel room at a fun bed and breakfast in Logan. I was so excited! It was going to be romantic and fun and I planned to tell my husband that I was pregnant.
But that Monday he told me it was a mistake.
He wanted a divorce.
(Now don't go judging him here-he was just being honest with himself. I get that now. No reason to stay married if its not the right thing.)
For three LONG days I begged, pleaded and cried to get him to stay but I knew it was over. I moved out and into a friend's house.
Then I went to the bed and breakfast by myself. It was already paid for and I needed to get away to think.
I called him and told him about the baby. He of course didn't believe me. (I wouldn't have believed it either had I been him-I was super clingy and desperate.)
He said, "Well I hope you miscarry," and hung up. (AGAIN-he didn't really know that I was being honest. To this day, I don't know if he ever really believed it.)
The next morning I lost the baby.
I was alone.
I honestly wanted to die.

But I didn't.
I went back to my friend's house and got on my knees.
I wanted to pour out my heart to God.
I wanted to say everything that I was feeling.
But all I could get out was, "Please."
Please.
And I lost it.
That deep, thick sobbing that only a truly broken heart can produce.
I felt that I had lost EVERYTHING and that I could never be happy again. Ever.

But then my head cleared and I felt that still small voice whisper, "Everything you have lost will be returned to you in one year."

A year later, on the day before Valentine's, my Bobby proposed.
We were married six months later and a few weeks after that discovered I was pregnant with Murdock.

And now we have Watson, a house, lovely pets and more than I ever thought possible.
My cup runneth over.

And then today, my dearest friend received word that in two weeks from now, on Valentine's Day, her daughter Eleanor will FINALLY (after a three year wait,) be all hers.
God is there.
He keeps his promises.
And every now and then, he even sends a valentine.



PS-Don't you just want to squeeze her?
AND my ex-husband found his happily ever after as well.
This story has the happiest of endings, yes?
Photobucket

1 comment:

Heidi said...

My heart breaks every time I think of the things you had to go through but I'm so so so so happy for the blessings that have come after all the trials. You are seriously one of my heroes. At least your ex was good for one thing - we probably wouldn't have become friends without him! I hope every valentine's day is filled with joy and sweetness from now on.